cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ivar legs hack

Knaglis
New Contributor

Hello, does anyone know if there is something that can attach a Osarp leg to the Ivar cabinet? Maybe part of the Capita leg? Thanks!

1 BEST ANSWER

smnc
Contributor II

Oficially, no.

think (but am not sure) that the CAPITA legs use a thicker threaded rod than OSARP, so I don't think their install plates will work.

But there are a couple options that should work. 

The simplest is to just use the included connection plates that are intended for joining 2 BESTA cabinets together with the legs. Just replace the included machine screws with some appropriately sized wood screws, and that should attach the plates pretty securely to the bottom of an IVAR cabinet.

The slightly more difficult, but cleaner, solution would be use a threaded stud with a screw/self-tapping end to replace the threaded studs that come with the legs. Something like these. 

smnc_0-1648072208411.jpeg

Although to be clear, I don't have an easy way to verify that those ones are the correct size (although I think they are). I'd STRONGLY suggest verifying the legs stud size before ordering.

Additional note: neither of the solutions I'm presenting here will be nearly as strong as the default install. They should be plenty solid for regular use, but I'd not recommend dragging the IVAR around on the floor with the legs installed, for instance.

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

smnc
Contributor II

Oficially, no.

think (but am not sure) that the CAPITA legs use a thicker threaded rod than OSARP, so I don't think their install plates will work.

But there are a couple options that should work. 

The simplest is to just use the included connection plates that are intended for joining 2 BESTA cabinets together with the legs. Just replace the included machine screws with some appropriately sized wood screws, and that should attach the plates pretty securely to the bottom of an IVAR cabinet.

The slightly more difficult, but cleaner, solution would be use a threaded stud with a screw/self-tapping end to replace the threaded studs that come with the legs. Something like these. 

smnc_0-1648072208411.jpeg

Although to be clear, I don't have an easy way to verify that those ones are the correct size (although I think they are). I'd STRONGLY suggest verifying the legs stud size before ordering.

Additional note: neither of the solutions I'm presenting here will be nearly as strong as the default install. They should be plenty solid for regular use, but I'd not recommend dragging the IVAR around on the floor with the legs installed, for instance.

Thank you for your reply!  You are not wrong by saying that there is no item or piece that could be used to attach the ÖSARP (Leg)  to the  IVAR (Cabinet) #. Unfortunately,  the ÖSARP (Leg) are only compatible with our BESTÅ combinations . The reason being is that our BESTÅ  combinations have  a small insert for the legs but the  IVAR (Cabinet) # is plain wood underneath so it will not work out. Regarding the CAPITA legs , they are also not compatible with the ÖSARP (Leg) because ( see image below) both of the OSARP legs and the base plate of the CAPITA legs have screws that will knock each other . Thus, the CAPITA legs can be used by following the following steps with other legs than the OSARP legs  :

• Drilling your own holes in your cabinet
  • Screwing just the base plate of the CAPITA legs
  • Then adding the legs you want to it 

We hope this helps!

CAPITA.jpgeOSARP .jpg

Knaglis
New Contributor

Thanks for response! I decided I’m going to try to use the connecting faceplates. Each set of two legs only comes with one so I had to get two more special shipped to me from Sweden so hopefully this works 😆 

smnc
Contributor II

Happy to help! Let me know how it turns out!

Your idea has actually inspired me, and I'm now thinking of hacking an IVAR cabinet for use as a bathroom vanity and using ÖSARP legs 😅