cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regnatarajan
New Contributor

Environmental Waste at Ikea

Solved Go to answer

I want to share an experience I had today.  My wife and I went to the Ikea restaurant in Richmond, BC, and we both ordered salmon.   The server started serving it on paper plates.  I asked him to use reusable plates.  He refused.  A stack of real plates was sitting right there beside him, and they were clean.  I said I did not want to create the entirely unnecessary waste of two paper plates (which are not recyclable as they would have food waste on them).  The server stood firm.  "We prefer to use paper plates" and he refused to serve us on the reusable plates that were sitting right there beside him. 

We walked out.

As far as I can tell, Ikea, you need to spend a little less time telling us how environmentally friendly you are (with signs all over the store to that effect) and spend a bit more on actually becoming environmentally friendly, and you can start with simple acts like using the reusable plates you have sitting right there.  Actions speak much louder than words.

I like your store.  I am not boycotting.  You can do better than this, however.

1 Solution
FJÄLLBO

Solved Go to answer

Hej,

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. We’re incredibly sorry to hear about your dissatisfactory experience, and we’d like to take a closer look into this internally. Please note that we’ll be forwarding your feedback to our IKEA Richmond location so we can investigate the issue.

We thank you once again for bringing this to our attention. If there’s ever anything else, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us again.

Found your solution? Simply click on Accept as solution to help others with similar questions!

View answer in original post

3 Replies 3
smnc
Contributor II

I'm wondering if it was a COVID safety thing? It just seems weirdly out of character with the Ikea I know.

Also, just a heads up, paper plates that are soiled with food can typically be composted with food scraps, seems like that might be a good way to help offset some of the environmental impact if this is a temporary COVID measure, and if so Ikea should be advertising that clearly.

Compostable, yes.  Recyclable, no.  And as far as covid goes, no other visible restrictions were in place so it wasn't that.  The server didn't even use that as an excuse, saying only, "we prefer to use paper plates".

Paper plates are incredibly wasteful in a restaurant setting.  I can only guess the number of large garbage bags per day a place like an Ikea restaurant would generate if they insist on such unnecessary waste, and I seriously doubt these thousands and thousands of plates are being composted.  Even if they are being composted, it is far better to just not create this waste.

As I said, I am not boycotting, I am not furious, I am not looking for anyone's head.  I am just disappointed and I want Ikea to improve on this.

FJÄLLBO

Solved Go to answer

Hej,

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. We’re incredibly sorry to hear about your dissatisfactory experience, and we’d like to take a closer look into this internally. Please note that we’ll be forwarding your feedback to our IKEA Richmond location so we can investigate the issue.

We thank you once again for bringing this to our attention. If there’s ever anything else, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us again.

Found your solution? Simply click on Accept as solution to help others with similar questions!